The Women and Gender Studies Center bridges academic coursework with student development, leadership, and coalition building.
Our mission is to educate the George Mason University community about gender issues and issues of concern to women, and to be a focal point for women’s studies scholarship and research. We strive to partner with academic programs, University Life units, and the Northern Virginia community to provide learning experiences that educate about gender issues; to provide a safe psychological and physical space for people of all races, genders, sexualities abilities, and religious backgrounds.
We host lectures and participate in important programs such as Take Back the Night and Women’s History Month to raise awareness and promote a sense of community on campus. We are located in Johnson Center 240K. Learn more about our events, access women’s studies resources, and get involved!
Do you have a question about Women and Gender Studies at George Mason University?
For the quickest response, send us an email to email@example.com
You can also call, write, or visit us:
4400 University Drive –Fairfax VA, 22030 –Johnson Center 240K –(703)993-2896
- A Letter to my Feminist Daughter….I talked to you the day after the election and you asked me, how was Donald Trump elected President of the United States? How, you asked me, did tens of millions of Americans vote for an unqualified, unprepared, inexperienced man instead of for a qualified, prepared, experienced woman? Hillary Clinton may not have been perfect, but […]
- THEY ALL COME HOME: Returning Home From Jail or PrisonWhen Lamar M. exited the bus arriving at the New York City Port Authority from the Clinton Correctional Facility in the Village of Dannemora, upstate New York, he was lost. The last time he was in the city was 15 years, 3 months and 27 days ago. He was sent to prison for selling […]
- Social Dynamics of Family Violence 2nd EditionWe are thrilled to announce the publication of our newest book, the 2nd Edition of the Social Dynamics of Family Violence! The ONLY book on the market that examines all forms of family violence–child abuse, elder abuse, intimate partner violence, violence in LGBTQ families–using a feminist, intersectional frame which identifies the causes of family violence […]
- Privilege is the Power to Control….So, this week a large Southeast university made the decision to accept a $30 million dollar gift in exchange for re-naming the law school after recently deceased Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. There have been a variety of negative responses to the decision to rename the law school, petitions have been circulated, meetings have […]
- Darryl Hunt…you will be missed……As a writer, I tend to process difficult things by writing about them….and so I turn to this outlet as a way to process the death of a dear friend who died much to soon….. Earl and I first saw Darryl Hunt shortly after Christmas in 2003, not long after he was released from […]