The Women and Gender Studies Center bridges academic coursework with student development, leadership, and coalition building.
Our mission is to educate the George Mason University community about gender issues and issues of concern to women, and to be a focal point for women’s studies scholarship and research. We strive to partner with academic programs, University Life units, and the Northern Virginia community to provide learning experiences that educate about gender issues; to provide a safe psychological and physical space for people of all races, genders, sexualities abilities, and religious backgrounds.
We host lectures and participate in important programs such as Take Back the Night and Women’s History Month to raise awareness and promote a sense of community on campus. We are located in Johnson Center 240K. Learn more about our events, access women’s studies resources, and get involved!
Do you have a question about Women and Gender Studies at George Mason University?
For the quickest response, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also call, write, or visit us:
4400 University Drive –Fairfax VA, 22030 –Johnson Center 240K –(703)993-2896
- The Meaning of the Women’s MarchMany people may wrongly assume that the Women’s March, the day after the inauguration of Donald Trump is about having our feelings hurt or being vindictive that “our” candidate didn’t win. And, though many of us, myself included did have our feeling hurt, the Women’s March is about so much more than that. For […]
- UNCONDITIONAL LOVE FOR THE BLACK MALE ATHLETEEvery few weeks or so we have this conversation. There seems no better time to have it again than now, on the heels of college football bowl games that included athletes who have been accused of acts of violence against women. These are certainly not the first cases, but they shine a light on a […]
- NOTRE DAME’S WALK- ON ‘RUDY’ INCOGNITOThe male “walk-on” in college sports, and in particular in football, has become a joke. Announcers voraciously proclaim that Joe Blow or John Caric is or was just a walk on but now performs at a level above and beyond coaches expectations is a farce. Whether a “recruited” walk-on or a “regular” walk-on these […]
- A Letter to my Feminist Daughter….I talked to you the day after the election and you asked me, how was Donald Trump elected President of the United States? How, you asked me, did tens of millions of Americans vote for an unqualified, unprepared, inexperienced man instead of for a qualified, prepared, experienced woman? Hillary Clinton may not have been perfect, but […]
- THEY ALL COME HOME: Returning Home From Jail or PrisonWhen Lamar M. exited the bus arriving at the New York City Port Authority from the Clinton Correctional Facility in the Village of Dannemora, upstate New York, he was lost. The last time he was in the city was 15 years, 3 months and 27 days ago. He was sent to prison for selling […]