Connect with us!
Do you have a question about Women and Gender Studies at George Mason University?
For the quickest response, send us an email to email@example.com
You can also call, write, or visit us:
4400 University Drive –Fairfax VA, 22030 –Johnson Center 240K –(703)993-2896
- White / Black Ethnographers and the Question of ‘Access’Some of the best in urban (and rural) ethnography—here and abroad—has white ethnographers peering into the lives of Black and other non-white people. Oscar Lewis (“The Culture of Poverty”); Margaret Mead (Trobriand Islanders); Elliot Liebow (Tally’s Corner); Harold Foote Gosnell (Negro Politicians); Gerald Suttles, (The social order of the slum; ethnicity and territory in the […]
- New Review of Gender, Power and ViolenceGENDER, POWER, AND VIOLENCE: RESPONDING TO SEXUAL AND INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE IN SOCIETY TODAY Authors: Angela J. Hattery and Earl SmithPublisher: Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2019. 246p.Reviewer: Kimberly Fairchild | September 2019 After allowing the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) to expire in February 2019, the House of Representatives passed a reauthorization of the bill in […]
- Disproportionately BlackEarl Smith, PhD – Sociology – George Mason University firstname.lastname@example.org Angela J. Hattery, PhD – Women & Gender Studies – George Mason University email@example.com Black youth are currently confined in the criminal punishment system Blacks get longer criminal sentences than whites Blacks placed in solitary confinement more than whites Blacks (men) exonerated, even though they are ½ […]
- RACE AND SPORTSEarl Smith and Angela J. Hattery Introduction Race matters (Feagin 2013; West 2000). Race also matters in Sportsworld. Race impacts virtually every aspect of our lives, from the opportunities we have to attend higher education, our access to health care, the foods we eat, the likelihood that we will go to prison, and the sports that […]
- The ugly underbelly of college sports and the muck and shady dealings that go into recruiting Student Athletes.College athletics–especially football and basketball–has a lot of explaining to do. What, with the FBI and the charges brought by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York probing the wrongdoings, we have already seen the firing of Hall of Fame coach — Rick Pitino, now formerly of Louisville. Many more coaches will […]